Saturday 26 August 2023

Goodbye and hello.

Hello and welcome, reader.

It’s a big news post today, and it’s all good, too. At least, that’s my story. And, as usual, you can count on me to stick to it.

Here we go.

Believe it or not, some have accused me of sharing too little of myself throughout my career in the arts. By now, claims of arms-length and arrogant are old hat. They’re no less ill-informed now than ever, either.

I’m not sure, but this might be the first time I’ve addressed it publicly.

This blog has been fun, for me, that way, too. And with it soon going the way of the Dodo bird, sharing my reply here seemed right.

But don’t panic. Because the launch of a new website will include a place for these verbose rambles among the mostly private corners of my mind. While not widely read, these notes feature an assortment of thoughts and ideas among the nearest and dearest to me.

They’re surely of more help to me than you, too.

So, before going off on the latest, thanks for almost nine years of dropping by to indulge in my brand of literary weirdness. It’s been my pleasure to share it, and I hope you’ve found some laughs here, now, and then, to go with the few notes on craft and my ravings about our world.

Thank you for supporting me and this online aspect of my literary art. Your support means far more to me than I could ever say, and I’m forever grateful for it.

Once again, I digress.

But keep reading, and I’ll soon tell you where to find me and my new online home.

Though, at such times, it’s worth recalling I’m a rank sentimentalist. This despite the amoral Captain Louis Renault being my great hero of the silver screen.

By the way, if any of that’s news, you’ve not paid close enough attention to my words. And I can’t help you with that.

What I can do is say, again, that only in fiction may we reveal the facts of our lives here. Because it’s those responsible for keeping things together who write history. And the truth doesn’t just hurt, it’s often too much of a nightmare for most of us to face.

For proof of that statement, check out the current culture wars raging worldwide.

Because, like life itself, the historic facts of our existence are both vicious and ugly. It’s certainly been that way for me. And you’ll count me among the surprised if it hasn’t been much the same for you. Life’s job, after all, is recycling you and me to make way for a new version.

Neither our comfort with, nor awareness of, the process is for it a concern. C’est la vie, reader.

I recommend making the most of it. For as long as you can. And no matter what you do, or how things work out, make every shot your best. Later, you’ll be glad you did. You now have my written word on that, and I’m pleased to give it, too.

Because life is what you make it. Nothing more, and not one thing less, either. And in case you wonder, that’s the voice of experience.

Anyway, I’ve likely told you how I love my work, and many times, too. The truth is, I doubt there’d be much risk in betting you’re sick of hearing about it by now.

Well, here’s more big news. Most times, it’s me who needs the reminder.

That’s right, usually, it’s me who doesn’t get it. Though I don’t know why. Maybe because working so long to realize one’s dreams makes accepting they’ve come true even more scary than if they hadn’t. I’m still not sure, despite going through it a few times. But something has surely kept me from acknowledging many of them along the way.

And that’s a damned shame.

Thanks to everyone for being here, and there, too, and for helping make so many of mine come true. It’s been all that, and a ham sandwich besides, and I’ve loved every bite. I’ve given you the best of what I’ve had, and still dream most of doing better.

So, I hope you stick around to see what I’ve got planned for next.

Did I mention how, for me, being good isn’t good enough? Well, if not, there you go. It’s another harsh fact with which I’ve grown too familiar.

Because here, like it must be with every writer or artist anywhere else, I imagine, I too, seek only the great. The natural side-effect, of course, is regarding all else as some type of failure.

And nothing could be further from the truth.

See, my folks raised me to abhor bragging and distrust braggarts. Not only that, but I see little point to pontificating, and less in blabbing about myself.

Nowadays, despite many calling it marketing, it seems to me the world is overflowing with people telling you how great they are. I’d just as soon not be one more of them.

But many people sacrificed so I could take my shots at it, and I need most to honor their faith in me and my talents. No matter either my own, or the world’s judgement of my efforts, it’s to those who believed in me I owe what I’ve become. And it’s to them I dedicate all the works I’ve been so lucky to complete, and everything I hope to do before I leave.

Though, as usual, I won’t be naming any names in public. Because they know who they are, and I respect their right to privacy.

To my teachers and mentors, without whom I would be nothing. From the earliest to those who remain with me to this day, guiding and suggesting, reminding and encouraging, it’s for them.

To my early compadres, all the long-lost brothers of a less-renowned road. Whether sweating in the saddle, or bruising it out in a boxing gym, humping road cases, or hanging steel, it’s for them.

To my Harwill bandmates, who shared countless miles of a never-ending highway. Through times fat and lean, from the honky-tonks to the recording studio, it’s for them.

To the shareholders of Solitary Press, whose steadfast support keeps the road from ending, for me. Despite my ongoing reluctance and modest success, it’s for them.

To the readers, and the listeners, too, each and all. Everything I’ve done is for you. Whenever you should find it, I hope most you discover something there to make your days and nights more bearable.

See, without those people, and you, reader, I would never have had the chance to be who I became, or do what I did, and I know it, and I’m grateful to each of them, and to you, too. I’m also now aware that in my reluctant quest for greatness, I’ve most often failed to acknowledge those supporting it. And by doing so, I’ve disrespected not only myself, but the sacrifices which made those good works possible.

That I must not let stand.

It’s important to know, then, that while not always pleased, I’m proud enough of the writing I’ve done, and the music I’ve made, too. Not only that, but I’m wholly committed to it. And I wouldn’t ask for your help, either making it or making it known, if my commitment wasn’t absolute.

Each time, it’s the best I can do.

To those who helped, along the way and in the here-and-now, it’s important to know more than my undying gratitude is yours. I need you to know that I believe in myself, and the work I do, too. And that I won’t quit, no matter how things go.

Win, lose, or draw.

I made a promise when I was a boy, to remember, and to write down what happened, so I could show people who came later how it was when I passed this way. I did so because what I found in books written by people who lived through their own nightmares before me, and shared them, helped me survive my own.

So, that’s what I did.

Now, I may have said here, a time or even two, how I think life is a process of change. I hope at some point in the past, I’ve also told you how I believe the important thing to ask is how, and not why, we’re all here.

Well, if not, there you go.

For me, despite my discomfort with many of the strange facts made plain by quantum mechanics, the classic theory of cause and effect still rules. And, while the universe’s fate looks destined at a macro level, uncertainty, in the form of choice, or what we call free will, appears to govern our micro reality here on earth.

In short, I am responsible for me.

Likewise, you’re in charge, and accountable, for you.

Ain’t life grand? And did I lately mention how one of my favorite things is the way adding a word about science will kill most conversations? Along with all types of debate? It’s priceless.

Go ahead, try it sometime.

Okay, now that I’ve again made things as clear as mud, it’s time (at last!) for sharing the big news.

I’m launching a new author website! That’s right, after publishing seven novels, and before the eighth, an ‘official’ author site is on the way. So, starting in early September, my new online home is at the namesake URL below here.

https://tfprudenthewriter.com

I hope you’ll visit and spread the word about the new site, too. Because it’s the first of many changes coming to this writer’s life, and I’m looking forward to sharing them with you.

For those on the world’s shortest mailing list, I’ll email when the new site is up and running. To those who aren’t, but want to be, you can send a note with the subject line ‘Add Me’ to the address listed with my profile here.

See you there.

Now, for what should be the last time, thank you for being here. And thanks for sharing this final post with anyone you think might like to read it.

-          TFP

             August 26, 2023

 

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to checking out the new site. Best wishes as the journey continues.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!